Disclaimer

The views expressed within this journal are my own, and in no way represent the views or policies of the United States Army, Department of Defense, or any other official agency.

Friday, January 11, 2008

172,800 seconds of relaxation. Aren't you jealous?

I have a small entry this morning to make. There isn’t much I have to say in terms of exciting activity or intense situations. No, I simply wanted to state that I should be making 500k a year, drive a Lamborghini, marry Jessica Alba, win the World Series of Poker, and be touring with my two man ukulele band.

Because, in fact, hell hath definitely frozen over.

It’s snowing today in Baghdad. Someone please call Al Gore, and have him send his crack staff of meteorological analysts over here.

I’ll take refit as an acceptable substitute instead of all the luxurious lifestyles noted above. 48 hours away from the real worry of being on the front line each week and a half. I have singlehandedly increased stock twenty-two cents per share in Proctor and Gamble by purchase of their personal hygiene products last night.

Have you ever lathered up seventeen times in one shower? Have you ever washed your beanie cap in the bathroom sink using 97 cent Suave strawberry shampoo? How about stared intently at a wall of provocative words and inane humor while ‘dropping the kids off at the pool?’ What would you do if you surreptitiously learned the secret of Chuck Norris’ power?

I would get packed for another nine days of mission cycle. That’s what I would do.

Tony

5 comments:

Tony (aka: Dad) said...

... you know, Al Gore invented the internet!!

Let's create a need and then fill it!

Snow in Baghdad... and it was in the mid 60's here in cincinnati earlier this week.

Your right... hell has frozen over!!

Thanks for calling yesterday!!!

You made my day, evening, week, weekend, month, etc.....

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

"MANY TIMES A DAY I REALIZE HOW MUCH MY OWN OUTER AND INNER LIFE IS BUILT UPON THE LABORS OF MY FELLOW MEN, BOTH LIVING AND DEAD, AND HOW EARNESTLY I MUST EXERT MYSELF IN ORDER TO GIVE IN RETURN AS MUCH AS I HAVE RECEIVED." - Albert Einstein.

...my daily exertion is offered as a labor of love to those who willingly defend the inalienable right of all humans: freedom, be it in this country or elsewhere in the world.

Everyday I am confronted by someone who feels his country has forgotten him; that his broken body and spirit are just an unfortunate tragedy of a war that was unpopular or unremembered. Which wars these Vets speak of don't matter. What does matter is that I remind him I am of his country, I do care, and I will never forget...never!

You and your brothers have made a commitment to us, and we must make a promise to you: you have put yourselves in harms-way to protect the liberty and freedom we so deeply cherish; we must promise to honor your service to life and sacrifice of self each of you have made, and to never forget...never! I hope you are able to find some moments of sanctuary from the difficult times you and your men have recently faced and may need to face in the future.

Know, without any doubt, of the special place in our hearts and prayers you all have.

Know, without any doubt, that we will never forget what you have done...never!

Stay safe...stay strong (Army Strong!).

- Andy

Holly said...

Hey Bud day! Miracles will never cease!!! And hopefully the sweet smell of Suave strawberry shampoo won't either! ;o)
love you sweetie!
hol

ps. thanks for the best b-day gift I could have gotten... to hear your voice.

Holly said...

Hi T I enjoyed the reading material, I,m sorry that I can't write you in more lenghth but holly and I have to leave for her work party, I'm very proud to call you my brother,Love Ed

jen said...

hey tony-
i am back in the us and in erie. i got your message when i got home, sorry i couldnt be there to answer it. i am online whenever i can be hoping to hear from you. keep your head up - you're still a dork...sgt dork now i guess.

-jen